Talk to Us

Join the conversation, let us know how we are doing in your community.

Maybe you have a good news story to share!

The NHWQ blog is not to be used as an alternative means of reporting crimes or other offences.

Numbers

110 Responses

1. Andrew says:

Good Morning,

I’d like to speak to someone about starting up a Neighbourhood Watch group in Banyo.

• Peter Treloar says:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your enquiry about starting a NHW group in Banyo. The local District Crime Prevention Coordinator at Boondall (Acting Sergeant Dwyer) will be able to assist you. Her number is 3364 3313.

Cheers
      Peter

2. Edith Blanck says:

I went to the conference yesterday thinking that I would continue to try and gain membership the old way but learn how to do it better but a new world was presented to me that didn’t make it easier but made it possible and I think achievable if not entirely measurable now my question is I am fairly computer literal my group does have a face book page I want to learn how set up a blog and where & how do I start to get gen Y to look at our page and invite them to like and make comments and what aspect of community safety is the most relevant to time poor mums.? I like young people and want to bridge the gap between 69 and 29
    How do I start?

• Peter Treloar says:

Hi Edith,

Thanks for your post and I’m glad you got something positive out of the conference. Your local District Crime Prevention Coordinator should be able to assist you with setting up a group blog and perhaps give some suggestions about recruiting a younger demographic to your group. One example is to advertise a social gathering which appeals to both generations, such as a park setting which caters for parents with young children and ensures everyone’s needs are considered.

Keep up the good work.

3. Jim says:

Hoon living in Phyllis court glasshouse mountains burning his tyres. All the street has there windows closed. Pay the first house on the left a visit. The one full of crap and half cars.

• Peter Treloar says:

Hi Jim,

I appreciate your annoyance at this. If this behaviour is ongoing please contact the Landsborough Police Station on Ph: 5439 9149.

Thanks
      Peter

4. Oliver Fleming says:

Or another way to annoy the neighbours, scare Halloween beggars, & rubbish bag attacking dogs.

What to take to bed with you – NOT a joke!

Pretty neat idea. Never thought of it before.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbours, your parents, your Dr’s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighbourhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It’s a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won’t stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbours will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won’t want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can’t reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn’t hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she’ll know there’s a problem.

Please pass this on even IF you’ve read it before. It’s a reminder.

5. Emily says:

I live in Mango Hill (North Brisbane). My neighbor from back street are a group of young people. Don’t know whether they are tenants or owners of the house. The people live in this place run parties every weekend and like excessive bass music very much. The parties always won’t stop until sunrise next day. We can hear the bass tone even with earplugs. This situation has been last for more than 8 months. Can hardly have a peaceful weekend night or good sleep.

We’ve called police or made online complaints many times (Anonymously). Unfortunately It seems police couldn’t deal with this matter very well.

In this case, I just hope someone could help us solving the problem. And all the neighbors near this place will be so grateful to you.

Emily

• Peter Treloar says:

Morning Emily, thanks for your comment. Your local police are responsible for dealing with noise complaints. Don’t be concerned about leaving your details as police will not divulge this information to any of your neighbours. Police also have certain powers in relation to removing the source of any excess noise if the “noise maker/s” refuse to cooperate.

6. Edith Blanck says:

I am planning to go to the Conference n the 5th Nov but cannot find where I need to register? Thank You

• M Price says:

Thank you for your message and your interest, Edith. The NHWQ Conference Registration Form is available from the ‘Resources’ tab, at the top right of the NHWQ Blog. Under the Resources tab, there is a section titled State Conference 2016, and there Registration Form can be located here both as a PDF and Word document template:
      2016 NHWQ Conference Registration Form – PDF for printing and writing
      2016 NHWQ Conference Registration Form – WORD with text fields for typing
      If we can assist any further with regards to NHWQ, please contact us again.
      Kind regards, NHWQ State Office.

7. Andrew McKenna says:

Hey hey. Link sent out this morning is dead. Further, search reveals “Sorry, but nothing matched your search criteria. Please try again with some different keywords.” Seems a little more practice still required.

• NHWQ Admin says:

Hi Andrew, this is from the BlogWatch blog, you must be logged in for the link to work.

8. Soloman Weng says:

Hi, my name is Soloman Weng, I live in GreenPark Street, Runcorn 4113 QLD.
    It’s a newly developed area, with roughly 30 neighbours lives in the same street. One of my neighbour unfortunately got robbed last week, and soon after that we also saw another break in robbery in near by place (i.e. Runcorn) from 7 News. My neighbours and I are starting to concern the safety issues within our area. Hence, we would like to do something about it, so that we can all feel safer and more secure.
    We are thinking to participate an existing NWG (if there is any in our neighborhood) or start a new if required. Would you please provide us some more information or who to talk to, so we know where to start.
    Thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Soloman Weng

• Trad says:

Hi Soloman,

I have forwarded your email on to the local DCPC in that area. They will be in contact soon to assist with your requests.

Thanks

Trad

9. Edith Blanck says:

Good morning I ‘m not sure who to address this too but the information I am after is how to get permission form NHWQ to print in our Bli Bli Bulletin which is our NHW & Community Newsletter the Neighbourhood Watch Qld Strategy for 2016-2018

• Trad says:

Hi Edith,

Thanks for your time with NHWQ. Its appreciated and I am sure the local police also do.

Your first pint of contact will be the Local DCPC and that is Yvette Tarrier for you in that area. I will forward this email on to her and she can make contact.

Trad

10. Andrew says:

Can I have someone please make contact with regarding the re – starting up of a NHW in our area

• Trad says:

Hi Andrew,

First of all sorry for the delay in getting back to you. NHWQ is always keen to hear from now peopel wishing to be involved and start up new groups.

If you can let me know what suburb you live in I will be able to forward your email on to a police officer in that area to assist.

Thanks again.